Having heavy, large breasts can become a problem physically and emotionally. If you are unhappy with the largeness of your breasts, then breast reduction surgery performed by Dr. Adam Basner at our greater Baltimore and Towson plastic surgery practice may be the right option for you. Dr. Basner is a board-certified plastic surgeon with extensive experience providing beautiful results through breast surgery. To schedule a cosmetic consultation with Dr. Basner, please call our office at (410) 616-3000.
Click for More Information About Breast Reduction Surgery:
- How is a Breast Reduction Performed?
- Signs That a Breast Reduction is Right for You
- Am I a Good Breast Reduction Candidate?
- Evaluating Your Candidacy for Breast Surgery
- What if My Breasts Are Different Sizes?
- Breast Reduction Using Only Liposuction
- Cost of Breast Reduction Surgery
- Does Insurance Cover the Cost of Reduction Mammaplasty?
- Breast Reduction Recovery
- How Long Do Breast Reduction Results Last?
- Contact Our Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
How is a Breast Reduction Performed?
The procedure is performed using incisions in the breast and around the nipple-areola complex. Dr. Basner will discuss with you which incisions he will use to accomplish the final result.
During the procedure, Dr. Basner removes the excess breast skin and fat, and raises the areolas and nipples up. The breast tissue is reshaped to create lighter, firmer and rounder breasts. Dr. Basner wants you to experience an enhanced level of self-esteem with your new, well-proportioned figure. No longer will you suffer the muscular pain that comes from carrying around excess weight in your breasts. Your daily activities will be more comfortable and you will be able to find clothes that flatter your figure. After a breast reduction procedure, most women do not experience any loss in sensation and most are able to breastfeed as well.
Signs That a Breast Reduction is Right for You
Ultimately, it's a very personal decision whether to seek breast surgery for large, pendulous breasts. If you experience any of the following, then you may be a good breast reduction candidate:
- Back, neck and shoulder pain because of breast weight
- Skin irritation or rashes beneath your breasts
- You feel your breasts are too large for your body frame
- One breast is larger than the other
- Bra straps dig into your shoulders because of breast weight
- Your breast size causes you to feel unhappy or less confident
- Your breast weight causes poor posture
- You have difficulty finding clothes that fit you right
- Exercise is uncomfortable because of breast size and weight
Not only can you feel more comfortable physically after a breast reduction, the procedure can also make you feel better about your appearance, which can be good for your emotional and mental health. Depending on your unique goals and breast characteristics, Dr. Basner may suggest combining your reduction with a breast lift or liposuction.
Am I a Good Breast Reduction Candidate?
The only way to know for sure is to visit Dr. Basner for a one-on-one consultation. You will discuss your goals and what you would like to change, and then Dr. Basner can make recommendations based on those goals. Generally, women who experience one or more of the following are likely good candidates for reduction:
- You feel unhappy, less confident or have low self-esteem because of the largeness of your breasts
- You experience back, neck and shoulder pain because of the weight of your breasts
- You experience discomfort while exercising and being active because of your breast size
- Indentations form on your shoulders because your bra straps dig into the skin
- The skin beneath your breasts chafes and/or becomes irritated
You deserve to feel confident, beautiful and feminine, and to be free from the discomfort caused by overly large breasts.
Evaluating Your Candidacy for Breast Surgery
If you are wondering if breast reduction surgery is a good fit for what you are trying to achieve, consider some of the situations that breast reduction results can alleviate:
- Breast largeness that makes it uncomfortable to run, lift weights, swim and participate in other physical activities.
- Breast size that causes physical symptoms, such as breast numbness, and back, neck and shoulder pain.
- Large breast size that makes it difficult or impossible to find dresses and tops that fit your upper body correctly.
- Breast size that causes you to feel uncomfortable, unhappy and self-conscious, or otherwise causes negative thoughts and feelings about yourself.
You and Dr. Basner will also discuss various lifestyle factors that may be related to your decision regarding breast reduction. For example, you may want to consider whether you plan to become pregnant in the near future because pregnancy typically changes the size and shape of the breasts, so it could change the results of a breast reduction; although, some women go ahead and opt for breast reduction with the knowledge that they may have to revise any breast changes after a future pregnancy.
What if My Breasts Are Different Sizes?
All women have some degree of asymmetry when it comes to the size, shape and position of their breasts; however, some women experience a highly noticeable degree of asymmetry. One of the added benefits of breast reduction is that the procedure makes the breasts look more identical to one another.
Breast Reduction Using Only Liposuction
Certain women are good candidates for a reduction mammaplasty using only liposuction. During this procedure, the excess fat cells will be removed through tiny incisions around the breasts and suctioned out using a small vacuum known as a cannula.
Cost of Breast Reduction Surgery
At Dr. Basner's practice, the average cost of breast reduction is over $6,000. This figure includes all of the charges associated with the procedure except for prescription medication costs and pre-op medical clearance costs. This is also only an average, and your specific procedural costs could vary. Charges will vary depending upon how much your insurance covers (if any), how much volume needs to be removed, how asymmetrical your breasts might or might not be, the cost of your anesthesia requirements, and other factors.
Does Insurance Cover the Cost of Reduction Mammaplasty?
Breast reductions are sometimes covered by insurance policies, but it depends on a number of factors. Our experienced office staff will help you determine if you have coverage. Typically the reduction must be medically necessary due to excessive muscular pain and the possibility of future pain and suffering to be covered by insurance.
Breast Reduction Recovery
After the procedure, you may want to take a week off of work. Dr. Basner will make an individualized recommendation at your consultation. You will also need to limit your physical activity for 2 to 4 weeks while your breasts heal. Our staff will provide detailed guidelines for when you can begin incorporating intensive activities like running, heavy lifting, swimming and other things.
How Long Do Breast Reduction Results Last?
Generally speaking, the results of breast reduction are permanent. It is possible, however, for pregnancy, aging and weight fluctuations to affect the size and shape of your breasts. All of these factors and possibilities will be discussed in detail during your consultation.
Contact Our Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
If you live in or around Towson, Owings Mills, Columbia or Baltimore and are interested in breast reduction surgery for lighter, firmer, more attractive breasts that flatter your body frame, then please contact The Plastic Surgery Center of Maryland to schedule a consultation with experienced and board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Adam Basner. You can fill out the form on this page or call us at (410) 616-3000.
Breast Reduction Surgery Testimonials
Testimonial: I am so glad I chose Dr. Basner to perform my breast reduction surgery. He and his staff made the process smooth and easy. I am very pleased with the results of my surgery and the change was immediate. I no longer felt pain in my back and shoulders and my life has improved drastically for the better!!!
Testimonial: After all those years with backache and discomfort (plus the embarrassment), I finally went to see Dr. Basner. I can't believe how much better I feel. All that pain is gone. I wish I had done this a long time ago! I look great in my clothes, and I can even buy bras in regular department stores now. - D.B.