One of the most common myths associated with liposuction is that the procedure can help you lose weight. Unfortunately, this incorrect assumption can cause you to develop unrealistic expectations for your procedure.
Liposuction is not a tool for weight loss. It is a body contouring procedure that will remove small amounts of fat from targeted areas of your body in order to provide a more toned, sculpted figure. In reality, the amount of fat removed during most liposuction procedures will not result in a significant loss of weight.
Why Can’t Liposuction Help Me Lose Weight?
You shouldn’t use liposuction as a weight loss technique for several reasons:
- There are limits to the amount of fat that can safely be removed during liposuction procedures. This amount will not significantly impact your BMI or your overall weight. When these limits of fat removal are exceeded, it can increase your risk of complications and a poor outcome to your procedure. For this reason, Dr. Basner doesn’t recommend large volumes of fat reduction during liposuction.
- For obese (BMI between 30 and 34) and morbidly obese (BMI over 35) individuals, the amount of fat removed during liposuction most likely won’t have a significant impact in your figure and as a result, it may not be worthwhile to undergo the procedure.
- Unless you are able to make the lifestyle changes necessary to maintain a healthy, stable weight, you are most likely going to gain weight again after liposuction. While the fat cells removed won’t ever return, the weight gain experienced in other areas of your body can create an unbalanced figure and negatively impact your initial liposuction results.
If you are currently overweight, you should first work to achieve your weight loss goals, then use liposuction to put the finishing touches on your workout efforts. Once you are able to maintain a stable, healthy weight, Dr. Basner can remove some of the stubborn pockets of fat that have been resistant to your fitness regimen in order to help you achieve the beautiful figure you desire.
If you have struggled with weight loss in the past, you may want to consider working with a nutritionist and a personal trainer who can help you make the lifestyle adjustments necessary to reach and maintain a healthy weight. Dr. Basner can recommend specialists who can help you achieve these goals prior to undergoing liposuction.
What Can Liposuction Accomplish?
Liposuction is an effective way to eliminate targeted areas of fat in order to provide greater definition to your figure than can be achieved through diet and exercise on their own. Dr. Basner can treat the following areas with liposuction:
- Bra bulge
In addition, good candidates for liposuction should meet the following criteria:
- In good overall health and physically fit
- Have realistic expectations for the outcome of their procedure
- At or near their ideal weight
- Do not smoke or are willing to quit prior to surgery and throughout the recovery
Contact our Baltimore Plastic Surgeon
Please contact Dr. Adam Basner using the form on this page or call 410-616-3000 today to schedule your liposuction consultation. We serve patients in Baltimore and the surrounding areas of Maryland.