Many men are embarrassed by the development of excess breast tissue. This condition, called gynecomastia, affects at least 30% of men at some point in life, according to some estimates.
Thankfully, there is a way to restore your confidence in your body. Gynecomastia surgery, also known as male breast reduction, reduces breast size for a flatter, firmer, and more masculine chest.
To schedule a consultation with board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Adam Basner, call 410-593-3064. Dr. Basner is proud to offer plastic surgery to men who want to look and feel their best. He serves nearby areas of Maryland, including Baltimore, Columbia, Owings Mills, Towson, as well as lower Pennsylvania.
What is Gynecomastia?
Gynecomastia is a very common condition that results in swollen or overdeveloped breast tissue in men. It is not typically a serious medical concern, but it can cause significant emotional distress, especially if it does not go away on its own. One of the most frustrating things about this condition is that it can affect you even if you eat well and exercise, preventing you from achieving your fitness goals.
Gynecomastia often presents the following signs and symptoms:
- Excess breast fat and skin
- Overdeveloped glandular tissue which may feel firm under the nipple
- Low nipple position and enlarged areolas due to breast development
High or imbalanced male estrogen levels are often responsible for breast growth. These hormonal changes may be natural — especially during puberty — or the result of certain medications, drugs, health conditions, or alcohol. It is important to see your doctor to determine the underlying cause of your gynecomastia.
Male Breast Reduction Candidates
You may be an ideal candidate for gynecomastia surgery if:
- You are physically healthy
- You are at a relatively normal weight
- Your breasts have stopped developing
- Your condition cannot be corrected through alternative treatments
- You have realistic expectations
You may feel embarrassed by your chest, perhaps even to the point of avoiding situations in which you have to remove your shirt. It may even be difficult for you to conceal the condition beneath your clothes. These are signs that gynecomastia surgery at our Lutherville-Timonium office may be right for you.
Restoring a Masculine Chest with Gynecomastia Surgery
At our practice, Dr. Basner can remove unwanted male breast tissue to give you the flatter chest you want. Typically, your chest can be sculpted and reshaped through a small incision on each side of your chest. In less typical cases, an incision across the chest needs to be made. Sometimes a small incision is made under the nipple.
There are some different ways this procedure can be performed:
- Liposuction technique: If you have extra fat in your chest but not a lot of extra skin, then Dr. Basner may use liposuction Liposuction removes fat cells to flatten out the chest area.
- Excision technique: If you have excess, sagging skin that is also lending to the appearance of male breasts, then Dr. Basner may use an "excision" technique to remove the extra skin, fat, and glandular tissue.
- Combination technique: In most cases, Dr. Basner recommends a combined approach. Many of our gynecomastia patients have both excess fat and glandular tissue, so Dr. Basner will use liposuction along with techniques to surgically remove the extra tissue. Typically, the incisions are virtually unnoticeable once they heal.
"Growing up, a lot of my friends would make jokes at my chest, most commonly that I had female boobs. It destroyed my self-esteem and made it almost impossible for me to buy shirts. I felt like people's attention was directed towards my chest. I had Gynecomastia surgery in April and couldn't be happier with my results. I look amazing in and out of clothing. I now look forward to going to the beach." – M.B.
How Much Does Gynecomastia Surgery Cost?
Gynecomastia surgery performed in the Baltimore area by Dr. Basner costs an average of $5,100-$6,300. The cost can vary depending on whether liposuction, excision or both techniques are performed. Other factors influence the final cost as well. Call us today to schedule a consultation, where you will receive a customized quote for the procedure.
"Six weeks ago I got my male chest reduction to correct gynecomastia from Dr. Adam Basner. The surgery went great!!! I can work out at the gym and use the locker room now without feeling self-conscious. Thank you so much to the entire staff at The Plastic Surgery Center of MD!!!!"
Schedule Your Baltimore-Area Gynecomastia Consultation
If you are a man who suffers from gynecomastia and wants to restore a firmer, more masculine chest, then please contact The Plastic Surgery Center of Maryland at 410-593-3064 to schedule a cosmetic consultation with experienced plastic surgeon Dr. Adam L. Basner. Dr. Basner proudly serves men in and around greater Baltimore, Towson, Owings Mills, and Columbia.